Monday, October 15, 2007

23 Things Assignment #5

I did find the "video" to add the my.del.icio.us buttons a little insulting. They could have just said "add as a Link under Favourites and put on your toolbar". It wasn't rocket science.

However there are 2 of us at this branch doing the assignments, so my opposite will have to do this assignment on a different computer or the link will send her to my del.icio.us list. Obviously this site is not meant for shared workstations.

I looked in my Favourites and found "Daily dose imagery" which I had added when I was doing the first 23Things assigment. To my surprise, this blog had a del.icio.us button on its front page. I posted it and checked some similar sites. I found a nice also-Canadian photoblog called WatchThisSpace so I added that one.

I tried a search next and looked up "Doctor Who". I found an interesting Fanfiction Archive but noticed that the Canadian Fan Club wasn't in the list so I added DWIN.org. It's odd but the stats on my.del.icio.us page seemed to suggest that 5 or 6 people added the 2 Canadian sites almost as soon as I posted them with the tags. I suspect there must be an automatic tag alert option.

This is an interesting concept but again the use is limited as a reference tool. It has a little more "peer review" cachet than google hits but it is time consuming. I hadn't been aware of it so I might take more time -- when I have it-- to explore what is available.

1 comment:

23 Things Staff said...

Good post and observations. I've actually had to assist some staff who tried to right click the links in the video (and were getting Zoom and Rewind options).