Tuesday, September 25, 2007

23 Things Assignment #2


I wanted to find images I would be putting on my own personal computer.
In searching for an image of Derek Jacobi in his Doctor Who appearance, I was pleased to find this picture on a cool Doctor Who blog http://www.behindthesofa.org.uk/ which has some great Doctor Who commentary. But the picture was wallpaper size so I went for a smaller picture on James Bow's site bowjamesbow.ca (I know him as a local Canadian author of Doctor Who fiction and was pleased to find his site). James described the revelation that the so-nice Professor Yana played by this British acting legend was actually the evil Master as a "Squee" moment. Absolutely spot on. I remember squeeing quite loudly last week at this revelation and I thanked the stars that I managed to be unspoiled by friends and articles so I could have this absolutely perfect shocker moment. And that it came from the actor who's title role in "I, Claudius" inspired me to take Latin was a bonus.
Trying a different font now...

In choosing my second and third pictures, I was inspired by one of the panels at the Prophecy 2007 Harry Potter Symposium I recently attended. The panel was called "Why do we love Snape? Is it canon, fanon, or Alan?" These two pictures illustrate a more canonically inspired artwork of the ugly, greasy and unpleasant professor and the delicious movie counterpart. I must admit that I watched the first movie before I read the books and my love of Snape came from Alan Rickman's voice and portrayal. However, the nasty misunderstood misanthrope is also appealing and I realize that I often like viciously sarcastic characters.






At the Harry Potter Symposium, there was a Hall of Memories with memorials for all the characters J.K. Rowling killed. Offerings were welcome: poor Snape's memorial received only the hotel's free shampoo bottles. Sigh.