Saturday, September 22, 2007

23 Things assignment #1

Finally had a chance to try setting up a blog after my return from my vacation. Lots to catch up on.

What I hope to learn through the 23 Things training:
I am familiar with much of the technology we will be exploring but I have never seen the appeal of the emotional dumping ground of LiveJournal or the personal confidence-filled mating services of MySpace or Facebook and certainly don't approve of any arena which supports riting lk a IM teenie instead of demanding proper English communication. Encouraging young people to be lazy and clique-coded does them a disservice when they finally enter the workforce. I've been using ListServs and Yahoogroup mailing lists for years and have found them to be great and lucid channels of communication with like-minded people around the world. So, in this course, I will have a reason to explore those sites which I would otherwise avoid personally.

What makes a good blog:
The best blogs enhance the website they are connected to in that they follow an event or project step by step like a diary or they provide an expertly filtered selection of news feeds or links. Authors sometimes write about their progress on a novel and it's a great insight into the creative process. I've seen blogs of personalities on kids TV related sites and they enhance the personal connection between the children and the world they see, making the personalities into people, a valuable lesson in reality versus imagination. The blog has to suit the purpose or flavour of the site.

1 comment:

23 Things Staff said...

Excellent first post - by far the most writing I've seen so far. I hope your future posts will be this enjoyable.